Friday, December 19, 2008

Morning Scare

Interesting story here - so after we got our furnace checked out and the guy told us it's about lived out it's life, we decided to get some carbon minoxide detectors (which we should have had anyways...) And two or three weeks goes by of saying "Oh I'll get them tomorrow, we'll be fine". Yesterday morning I watch on the today show a story of how this family almost died from carbon minoxide poisoning and are lucky to be alive, so I"m thinkin, ok - that's a sign - I really need to get a couple detecors TODAY! So I go and get two and plug them in. Well this morning Ryan wakes me up to say prayers before he goes to work early in the morning. Right as he's about to leave the one in our room starts to beep, and we're not sure if that means it has a low battery or you're breathing deadly vapors and to get out of the house. I listen for the one in the kitchen and I don't hear anything so I think it's ok. Ryan leaves, and I decide to go check the one in the kitchen. The second I got next to the one in the kitchen it starts going crazy! Like the loudest highest buzzing ever, so I freak out - grab Jack from his crib, he starts crying as I stumble around looking for my phone and keys. We get outside into the car, turn the heat on and call 911. I told them what happened and they sent a cop car and fire truck out at 5:30 in the morning (thank heavens the sirens and lights weren't on, they were very quiet about it which I appreciated greatly - didn't want to freak out the neihbors.) Now the whole time they are in there checking it out I'm thinking, great I just called 911 and I'm probably just psyching myself out or something, and than I think , but no....I'm not imagining both detectors going off, something has to be wrong, and why else would God send me that "sign" through the news. So a few minutes go by and they come out, and tell me that the levels were quite high.....which was a relief, I didn't want to call 911 for no reason! About an hour later, they figure out that it's not the furnace but a problem with the ventilation or the big vent coming out our roof was being kind of blocked by the wind, so our house wasn't being ventilated. So they had to air out our house in the freezing weather, turn off our furnace untill the heating guys came out to fix our vent, which was about 20 minutes ago. Meanwhile Jack and I went to Sam's Club to walk around, Wal- mart to get a portable heater and hung out in his new play room with our little heater that is powerfull enough to just heat one room and watched movies. It's been an eventfull morning, now we're just waiting for the heat to circulate through the house! Lets just say I'm thankful for that extra little push God had to give to get me going on keeping our family safe.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

WoW Steph that is crazy!! Dont you love it when you get those extra little pushes from up above to help you out? Well I am glad that you guys are all okay and I hope you guys stay safe! Have a Merry Christmas!

The Hansens said...

This is such a scary story. When Shelley told me about it I freaked out and asked Rick if we had detectors!! I guess we have them and I didn't know:) I'm glad you are safe!!

The Marchant Family: said...

Scary! I'm glad you're okay.

Cynthia Johnson said...

Wow! I'm so glad you listened and that everyone is safe!

The Christensens said...

Holy Cow!!! Glad you are all safe and sound!!! Thank goodness for the prompting of the Holy Ghost!!!

Laura said...

Thank goodness for detectors and the news and the Spirit of course! Way to go! Hope you all have a Merry Christmas!