Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Say hello to a new lifestyle!

Ready for this? I have been doing a lot of thinking lately, my life now is my husband and kids. I cook, clean, teach, love all day every day. I am responsible for their well being and quality of life. I don't think I realized until lately how HUGE that is. I know you've all heard that a lot of the food we eat, cleaners we clean with and almost everything we live around is packed with chemicals, hormones, pesticides, preservatives, the list goes on and on. That's scary to me! There's too many problems with people today. America has major health and weight problems, and not just in adults anymore, kids too. There's a lot of emotional problems as well. A lot of girls are starting their periods at 6,7,8 years old....way too early! I tried something one day, just opened my eyes and looked at everyone I passed in one day whether driving or shopping or whatever and made a judgment on whether they looked overweight or healthy. The ratio was really eye-opening. Seriously try it. I can't judge and I can't control the health problems of the people around me, but I can help to control my families health. As a mother - it's my responsibility! I want to know what my family is eating, where it comes from, and I want to make sure that I am not exposing them to anything that could potentially harm them! If I'm going to spend time doing something (being a mom) I'm going to do it right! Yes, Organic and environmentaly friendly products are a bit more expensive than the regular, but the way I see it is ...Can you really put a price on your health? We'll have to cut expenses somewhere, but I feel like it's a good cause, and maybe even some personal revelation. God will help provide! Someone recommended on their blog watching "Food Inc." which I did, and which solidified my concerns. I know that this isn't going to make us invincible. I know we'll still get sick now and again, but I'd say odds are in our favor. Now granted I may slip up here and there, something that I can not and will not give up is chocolate, and I am not crazy enough to never give my kids a treat here and there, special occasions, you know. But I am changing our every day eating and living habbits. I am going to do my part to make sure my family has the very best quality of life that we can. Life is so short, who wants to be unhealthy? When you're healthy you're happy! I hope everyone who reads this at least pauses to think about the things they put into and around their body, and hopefully gets a desire to make a change to their lifestyle! Wish me luck!
Here are some of my latest investments.
THe all purpose cleaner is awesome! I love it, you can clean your countertops and accidentaly miss a spot, put your food on it, and still feed to your kids, it's that natural, you don't have to worry about it getting into your food, it does no harm. Love it.












My lovely "green drink" made with spinach, kale, agave (natural sweetener) raspberries, peaches, organic yogurt and coconut flakes. YUM! Go to youtube and check out green smoothie girl. She's got a lot of good information!

9 comments:

Bekah said...

Welcome to the organic life! Isn't it lovely? Great post!

Ry, Shell, Maxwell and Henry said...

Yes for sure it's eye opening, I've wanted to go organic but I've been slacking a lot lately :( so thanks for posting this it has inspired me to hit it hard again.

Laura said...

New lifestyle for sure! Good for you! I'm totally interested in trying some organic products also. You should do a follow-up of how these "all natural" things taste?? :)

Jarom and Heidi Taylor said...

I love the Green Smoothie Girl... okay I have actually only gone to her website. I have been eating organic most of my life, but man getting married throws you for a loop with your eating habits. Did you buy the Green Smoothie Girl's Cook book, i was looking at it and I want to buy it, but if it isn't worth it i'm not going to. I'm just trying to find someone that has bought it, let me know! And good luck I love that more and more people are using organic products! :)

James and Danielle said...

Steph- loved the post! i have been learning and changing these last couple of months also. Truly it is frighting what bad stuff is in our food and what is happening with the health of the American people! I will call you sometime and we could chat about our new lifestyles and catch up!!! Talk to you soon!

Christina said...

Hi, you have no idea who I am, I got here from Tiffany Dudley's blog. I know her from Seattle. The title of your post caught my eye because I've recently made a lot of these same changes. I was wondering if you had tried using vinegar to clean your house. I have read that it kills germs just as well as the harsh chemicals. I have been using it now for a couple months, and I use it to clean my whole house, and as soon as it dries the vinegar smell goes away. I use a ratio of 1 part vinegar to 1 part distilled water for general use. You can use straight vinegar for those hard to clean surfaces (like your toilet bowl). There is also a website you should check out, www.vinegartips.com. This is also a lot easier on the budget. Hope this helps, and congrats on your decision to go green!

Zaugg Blog said...

Steph! good job on going organic!I've tried a few cleaners beofre and loved them! You family i darling and love reading your updates. I can't believe I'm gonna be a mommy soon...any tips send them my way! We havn't really decided on a name but were getting close...I want to use Jo as a middle name b/c of mine. anyways hope all is well!

Zaugg Blog said...

Steph! good job on going organic!I've tried a few cleaners beofre and loved them! You family i darling and love reading your updates. I can't believe I'm gonna be a mommy soon...any tips send them my way! We havn't really decided on a name but were getting close...I want to use Jo as a middle name b/c of mine. anyways hope all is well!

The Liechtys said...

Love the post- very inspirational for sure! Thanks for everything you said :)