Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The words of Jack- music to my ears!

Just as the post title suggests when Jack talks it's like gold. He is behind on his speaking and really tries to communicate with me but has a hard time with it. He can pronounce things great for the most part, it's just the putting words together to express himself that is a struggle. It's been a hard road for Ryan and I as parents to try and help him through this. We find ourselves wondering why. We ask the questions, is it because we don't talk to him enough? Could he maybe have A.D.D? Is it just his personality and he'll talk when he wants to? There's a lot of different reasons why he may be behind on with his speach but we are taking it step at a time and trying to focus on being positive, talking slowly with him and showing him how excited we are when he does put his words together! Even though what he says may not be the things I want to hear all the time, I just have to be glad he's talking! I just thought I would share with you some of the things Jack has said lately.

I walk into his bedroom to find him, instead of napping like he should have been, playing with his curtain rod. I didn't have to say a word. He immediately hands it to me and says, "There you go, there you go, not a toy. I go to sleep" I take the rod and slowly close his door. As I do he says, "thank you so much."

To go along with that one, he knows his curtain rod is NOT A TOY. He saw a picture of Jesus with a shepards crook and he looks at Jesus and goes. "Jesus, not a toy!" So smart.

As I am changing Quin's diaper Jack walks up to me and sees how upset Quin is about the whole thing. (he really doesn't like his diaper changed) He looks at me and sternly says "Mommy, tell Quin sorry."

His prayers are the greatest though, he'll start out "Heavenly Father, mummble mummmble, name Jesus Christ Amen." We than have to tell him to go slowly and he starts again "Heavenly Father, thanks for (he starts to look around the room and point to things as he says them. "fork, thanks for mom, dad, baby quin, and Jack, thanks for this (as he picks up something random) please bless uncle rob, and baby in mommies tummy.Please bless us to be like Jesus and choose right. Name Jesus Christ Amen."

If it ever is too quiet in the house I'll call out "Jaaack", I'll hear "Whaaaat" I'll say "What are you doing?" and he'll respond something like this "I doing toys" or " I doing book" something like that. I have to remind him that he's PLAYING with toys or READING a book. At least he's got the just of it.

Last one that I can remember with my spacey brain right now would be I cut myself with a knife while cooking dinner one night and I showed him that I got an owie and I was bleeding and he goes,"oh no, what's the matter?" I told him what happened. He than goes ,"Kiss better? I go get medicine!" and darts off to the bathroom.

We love you Jack and are so excited that you are coming along at your own pace!

3 comments:

Ry, Shell, Maxwell and Henry said...

So cute, I can just see him saying those things. I miss him. You are great parents and the talking will come along :)

Laura said...

How sweet! Modeling good speech is such a great thing! I love the connection to Jesus' shepherd's crook. :)

joel and laura michelle said...

oooh thank you so much for sharing so us easterners can be a part of jack's day-to-day. we love you all :)